Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Uber-Deathly Hallows, or Oh, Henri!


At the behest of Henri, the only faithful contributor/commenter to my blog, this post shall attempt to review the last book in the Harry Potter series, The Deathly Hallows. To avoid spoilers, stop reading this now.

Everyone dies. I told you there would be spoilers. If you didn't stop when I told you to, it's your own dang fault.

OK, so maybe not everyone dies, but a right lot of them do end up as the main course at a worm feast before this jeremiad is over. In Henri's opinion, this book doesn't live up to the others. I agree with her, quite literally, as more people are brutally butchered in this children's tale than all of the Saw movies put together. I had to read something a little more light hearted like Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump or The Wizard and the Hopping Pot just to stop the nightmares.

Was Rowling just pulling at our heart strings, or was there a real purpose to killing half the characters, including Harry's poor little owl? She did say she wanted to make sure no other authors could come after her and exploit the Harry Potter franchise by writing follow up books. In that sense, knocking off Hedwig seems like a pretty good idea. Harry can't very well fight off future dementors and evil wizard lords if he can't even receive the post. How's he to know the return address of his would-be attackers? I'm sorry I ever doubted your genius, J. (yes, I am on a first initial basis with Ms. Rowling).

This is supposed to be a children's book. With all the senseless killing and, as Henri put it, 'the profanity and more complex writing style' full of 'unpronounceable words', I think J. has made it apparent she is ready to move on to headier genres. My money is on a sci-fi western romance with a genteel cowboy roaming the open 'space' (SPACE: What is it and why is it important?) fighting intergalactic outlaws and looking for interstellar love. I'd book Fabio for the cover now before his schedule is filled with imitation dairy spread endorsements and Red Hat Club appearances.

I think Henri said it best. "The best things in life are things you don't need." And what could we need less than a sci-fi western romance written by a billionaire children's author featuring Fabio in a cowboy hat and little else on the cover? (Don't bother asking what he's wearing inside the covers.)

P.S. I actually enjoyed the book. It's simply much easier to write a critical review. I tried writing a glowing review but "It was really quite good" was all I managed to come up with.

2 Helens agree.

Henri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Henri said...

Your review sucks. Don't think that name dropping me will get you on my good side.
I think it was strange to kill off Tonks and Lupin leaving another Order of the Phoenix orphan (just like Harry? curious). I liked that Dobby died he was creepy and stupid, and as far as house elves... mentally unstable. Remember Winky, she was permanently scarred after being freed. I also hated Harry's teen angst, so over played in the last couple of books. If I wanted teen angst I would stay at home more. I also hated that they tried to discredit Dumbledore, in the end he saved Harry's life, but that whole Snape and Dumbledore stuff was gay and hard for me to read. I still hate Snape having dealt with those types of guys in real life. He was creepy and mean and I was not sad he died; maybe if he showered he would have been more popular. Also he could have been Mormon since everyone had a smelly Mormon kid they went to high school with. Seriously some people don't think we believe in deodorant. Who cares about Aunt Petunia, I have an older sister and she was that same way when I got my Hogwarts letter, BFD. Petunia and Snape are the same since they both playa hate on Harry but then "redeem themselves" by protecting him. I also hated how predictable the Hurocurxes (pronounced whore-o curses) were.
I liked how they described the invisibility cloak and why Dumbledore had it. It was a hot topic in the forums for a while. The plot was good and summed up the questions raised in the other books. Harry kissing Ginny when Ron walks in was my favorite part; I have been waiting 2 books for that. I like Voldy more now since he was the only one who stayed true to his character. Plus he can fly.. w00t w00t.
Anyway the book was confusing for me to read, maybe it's because I stood in the Borders line until 3 am and then went to the commissary a few hours later and had no sleep all day and still tried to read it, or maybe I'm dumb and can't read, or I'm ADD and can't focus on anything for more then 2 seconds. Hogwarts and Dumbledore didn't get caught by word spell checker. I heart windows because it's Harry Potter friendly. (this is where an emo kid would make those heart signs using the number three)