Thursday, August 30, 2007

My balcony is not filling the measure of its creation


I was reading in Alma, chapters 40 and 41 this morning. These chapters are all about the resurrection and how good will be restored to that which is good, evil to that which is evil. Light to that which seeketh light, and darkness to that which seeketh darkness. I am pretty sure my balcony will be condemned to outer darkness come judgment day.

I have a tender basil plant. She struggles so valiantly against the tide of darkness. Her wilting, yellowed leaves strive upward toward that light which is the source of all life. And yet, she is losing the battle. My balcony is intent upon keeping her in the shadows. He cruelly allows her a few moments of light in the morning, but only if she is precariously perched on the very corner of the railing. In this position, she is very likely to tumble to the ground, 20 feet below, with the passing of any gentle gust. She has already taken one such fall, and her health has never fully recovered. I am convinced this is all part of my balcony's devious plan to rid our house of fresh basil. Sweet Basil's relative was killed a few months ago with this same deadly combination of darkness and drops.

If what Alma preaches is true, my balcony will surely have darkness restored unto it at the great and terrible day of judgment. A darkness so pervading that there shall be great wailing and gnashing of rails. I for one, do not feel pity for my balcony. Mercy cannot rob justice. I only hope that they have fresh basil in heaven. Otherwise would it really be?

9 Helens agree.

Henri said...

That was so full of religion I don't have to go to church on sunday.. Thanks!!!

James said...

whilst on my mission in genova, i lost a sweet basil plant from our kitchen window to a passing storm. last summer we had a flourishing, beautiful, tall basil plant which we left in the care of some good friends (along with our other plants) while we were away for two months. we returned to a shrivelled, brown, crispy shadow of her former glory. our current sweet basil plant resides on our back patio and suffers the same pickle as yours. perhaps it is the curse of all domesticated, pot-dwelling sweet basil plants to endure lives of trial and slow or dramatic deaths.

corbin said...

Alas, it appears to be so. Luckily, they are still selling these basil plants at Trader Joe's for only $2.99. So cheap you can afford to lose a few.

Joe Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Black said...

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/
1245/butthahahabmpfa9.jpg

Zac said...

My basil plant flourishes in a pot so large and heavy it can not be blown over. Too bad for me the only enjoyment I get out of it is the exploding fragrance every time I brush by it.

Unknown said...

You make me laugh. Out here we have plenty of open sun, but the beetles tend to beat us to the punch. I've given up. I just buy the ones with the little brick of roots and stick it in a cup of water by my sink. I don't know why I keep buying them though, because I think I've gone through at least 5 plants without cooking one dish with fresh basil in it. I'm full of great cooking intentions. Those "live" lettuce heads have the same fate. Never quite get around to making my lettuce wraps. Oh well.