Monday, August 27, 2007

Online polls are not a joke.


I am typing this with a gun in one hand and a sword in the other. Why? Because I am very angry. This is my angry face. For all you jokers out there, online polls are not a joke. You cannot simply vote willy nilly just for laughs. I am, of course, referring to the online poll on this very page, featured slightly down and to the right (depending on what side of the computer monitor you are facing). If you will look closely, you will notice that several votes have been cast for 'No, I never vote in online polls'. Think about it, folks! You just did vote in an online poll!!!

This is not a game. Peoples lives and livelihoods are at stake here. How do you think the President of the United States gets elected? That's right. Online polls. And how are TV shows for Thursday night's Must See TV chosen? Again, online polls. And what about guilty/not guilty judgments for moving pedestrian violations? You guessed it. Online polls.

Basically, our entire economic, social, political, and speed dating infrastructures rely on the integrity of online polls. If people start voting untruthfully, then it's a short trip to Anarchy Town. And trust me, you do not want to take a vacation in Anarchy Town. The food is terrible.

Would you sell your integrity for a smile or a laugh? A smile that you will never see and a laugh that you will never hear, because this is the interwebs, not real life? Don't do it. If you do have a change of heart and desire to repent, you can always change your vote. Repentance is why they included that option.

Please, people. Do not play games with Lady Democracy. She is a fickle and jealous lover and she will leave us for The China if we do not treat her right.

*If you had someone else cast your vote for you, thus maintaining your non-voting status, I apologize. You should not have had to read this. But I have a feeling that this post is not ill advised.

8 Helens agree.

Henri said...

I totally voted for yes, so please don't hurt me with your gun or sword. As for voting not done online... I am totally opposed to. Real life is overrated and the Internet was created for a reason. The top three reasons why the internet was created:
1. So people can find a mate/friend (when I say people I mean Joe. jk sort of)
2. Real life is dull and boring and requires effort (it is so hard for real girls to do random things since they are required to look hot at all times. It takes a few hours to get ready with make up hair and clothes all planned out perfectly. To all your girl readers and especially Alice since she now is apart of the Abercrombie mold: SWEAT PANTS ARE NEVER AN APPROPRIATE ATTAIR OUTSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE!!!(Please read the all caps as angry yelling)).
3. I forgot what I was going to say but it was so super cool. I will insert a sexist joke instead. Why do women have small feet? So they can stand closer to the stove. Why don't women wear watches? Because there is a clock on the microwave.
On a side not Tom e-mails me and never says anything or answers any of my questions or comments on any of my super totally fun stories. And thank you for you stupid blog because I am practicing my one finger typing skills and brushing up on my spelling. You know you love me.

Bradley said...

I grown. I do wut I wawnt.

Joe Black said...

hello although i as well voted yes, a lot of times when people call em on the phone for a simple survey i opt out. "excuse me sir are you a 20-30yr old male us citizen, registered to vote, in college, like MT dew, enjoy skateboarding and playign video games, like to watch funny tv shows and war movies, also way into ninjas?"

"...no im sorry" :(

Joe Black said...

ps guess who is going to actually get to meet hanson!!! MEEEE

alice said...

since everyone is confessing about what they voted for and thus abandoning one reason polls were created, i will confess my vote. i voted NO! i can't believe my husband yelled at me. i will have to write a different blog next sunday.

i also feel a need to justify my no vote. i hate voting online. while corbin may feel the universe hangs by a single thread of online voting, i disagree. i work for a company that does test after test and we hardly ever use the data. in fact, most of the time the test results don't sway anyone and they all conclude they should do the test again. i was motivated to vote primarily to support a husband in his efforts of pointless online voting where his results will, like so many others, be thrown to the wayside and never looked at again.

Henri said...

I AM MEETING HANSON!!!! joe is not as he is not a fanclub member and hanson VIP like me. I get to meet them and get a photo taken at their baltimore show i am so excited. This is what I have been waiting to do for 10 years. Yes hanson has been around for 10 years and close to 10 albums (that depends on which fan you ask, there are live ablums with new songs and remakes of their hits. I count all the albums I bought). this is going to be the coolest thing ever. hopefully I can work up to become a level 70 homewreaker before then. PS they are all married and 2 have children. here is my link for Hanson's write a song about me contest, it takes you to an information page and is just to make people become aware of them now and how much they have changed.
http://www.hanson.net/site/hanson/link/1/87958
"The best straight-up rock band in America, now sowing sonic oats as independents" -New York's Village Voice.
you know you love me and you secretly love hanson

Henri said...

Honey where's my supersuit?

Jaron said...

Uh, chalk me up for "Never Vote in Online Polls," along side the 6 other very smart people who voted with me. Non-voters, Unite!