Saturday, August 25, 2007

Let the bodies hit the floor



Yesterday, I went to the Bodies exhibit. Strangely enough, it came to the mall just around the corner from our apartment. For those of you not familiar with Bodies, they preserve real human bodies using a polymer preservation process which replaces all water and degradable substances with silicon.

They have displays with whole and partial organs as well as near complete bodies partially dissected to reveal key features. Eerily, they remove most of the skin but still leave humanizing patches like eyebrows, lips, and belly buttons. The butt crack was also usually left on. Don't ask me why. But with these humanizing features, it was easy to picture these people alive and doing normal things (with skin on, of course).

As I studied these infinitely detailed organisms, my own muscles almost involuntarily flexed and twitched. They were dynamically posed, often simulating a sports move, and the muscles and tendons stretched tight between the bones. It was not hard to imagine what my own muscles looked like straining beneath my skin. Everyone else began to seem transparent, too. I could envision the fetus curled up inside the pregnant lady to my left. I could see the heart rhythmically pumping in the boy to my right.

They have one process where they inject a polymer into the circulatory system and then dissolve the rest of the tissues, leaving only the arteries, veins and capillaries. Life size and recognizable as a human body. The fingertips had a surprising number of capillaries. So many that I could still see the faint fingerprints even though there was no skin left.

I really gained a new appreciation for the miraculous engineering that makes up our bodies. A billion trillion tiny little machines, all working together to keep us alive. It made me realize that even when I'm being extremely lazy (which happens more often than it should), at the cellular level I am really quite busy.

The whole experience was breathtaking. Thank you, Alice, for a wonderful birthday present.

P.S. All the bodies are unclaimed Chinese cadavers. Or at least that's what the chinese government is telling us.

3 Helens agree.

Henri said...

Wow your blog is going down hill and getting very raunchy on it's way. Did you seriously say butt crack and I assume there were other raunchy things you saw and just forgot to post about. This is almost as gross as hearing about different types of poo. If you need another blog topic please explain how you can chew up corn but it comes out whole. I do not get it. At least Chinese people have one more thing they are good for besides making fried rice. Oh they are also good at doing your nails and that's about it.

Steve-O said...

Thanks for letting me know... I hope you had so much fun. Without me.

corbin said...

I'm sorry. I completely forgot that we were going to go together. And by go together, I mean go to the exhibit together, not date each other. Again, sorry about that. I'm a terrible friend.