Sunday, September 30, 2007

Corbin's True Love


Many of you may think that I am Corbin's true love. However, you are all wrong. Corbin's first love is chocolate soufflé. Now most of you are thinking, "Understandable. It's ok for Alice to be Corbin's second love." But I am not even his second love; cream puffs are his second love. I do come in third...I think.

Tonight Corbin made cream puffs. I played with the cat.

I think when we have kids, I will not read them the story of the little red hen. No use teaching them an ideal that I won't ever live by to teach them by example. Yes, I was the lazy cat who watched as the little red hen (Corbin) slaved away in the kitchen. Unlike the story, the little red hen in my house offered me a cream puff when they were done. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't in the kitchen while he filled my cream puff. Without being the wiser, I took a bite into a cream puff wherein the delicious filling exploded onto my face, into my hand, and luckily some of it managed to get into my mouth.

Corbin's cream puffs truly were divine. The recipe is compliments of Martha Stewart. As we admired Corbin's handiwork, we noticed we had a cream puff that resembled a living creature in our house. No, not Corbin. It was Papel! We should try to sell it on eBay with a tag line of "Replica of the Virgin Mother's Cat." I bet we could get a fortune.



9 Helens agree.

corbin said...

I contemplated filling her cream puff with sliced jalepenos, but thought better of it when I remembered Alice had had a nap, and was therefore likely to be able to stay awake longer than me.

corbin said...

My cat's a cream puff and vice versa.

Zac said...

I once made a pancake that looked like Mickey Mouse. Now that's something everyone can appreciate! Even cats and the Japanese love mice (the Japanese probably only like the Mickey kind of mouse, but he is a mouse none the less).

Your cat already has psychological issues. How could let him see you eat something that represents himself? And this after having him de-clawed so he cant even defend himself.

Any way, I think it looks more like my cat William. Or is it Wallace? My cats would just watch you eat that cream puff and stare you in the eye and say "Fight and you will die, run, and you'll live... at least a while." And to your cat, it would say "Dying in your bed, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell your humans that they may take our claws and eat cream puffs that look like cats, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!" It would sound like a meow to you, but that is what they would be saying.

Zac said...

P.S. Nice posed action shot. I know you took that photo yourself.

corbin said...

Are you talking about the photo of me at the stove? If so, you are wrong. Alice took that photo.

The weird angle is due to the fact that cream puffs are best made in the nude (or at most, in your underwear, as was the case here). In fact, the origin of the name of this pastry comes from the tradition of making them in the 'buff', and were first called 'cream buffs'. In later years, society's inhibitions increased and a new sense of propriety and decorum forbid discussing nudity in public. The National Association of Patisseries officially changed the name to 'cream puffs' in 1948, citing the 'puffy shell' as the basis for the name. With the later advent of the FDA and mandatory hair nets for food service workers, the 'cream buff' made in the traditional manner was all but eradicated. The private kitchen remains the last sanctuary of this decadent delicacy of a bygone era.

Anyone want to come over for dessert?

Steve-O said...

Yes. Once the jalepenos are gone.

Designing Woman said...

I suffer from a similar addiction corbin...once you pop you just can't stop!
PS: Alice that pic doesn't look a thing like you, I thought it was a visiting family member or something

alice said...

I know it, that's me with no makeup and glasses. Now everyone knows why I'm only Corbin's third love instead of first. The world sees me put together.

Designing Woman said...

hahaha...I'm pretty sure its just the weird face you are making.