Friday, October 19, 2007

Babylon the Great is Balling

Last weekend Alice and I caught a rare glimpse of Babylon. Let me tell you, the food in Babylon is exquisite, although their churros tend to be a little overcooked. You'd think the devil, with all his worldly power, would know how to make a good churro. But apparently, that is one secret the Mexicans aren't willing to share, even with the lord of the underworld. Then again, would it really be hell if they had tasty churros? But I digress...without having even started my subject.

Qualcomm, one of San Diego's largest employers and a Fortune 500 company, held their annual employee party, code named Quallapalooza, right down the street from our apartment at the La Jolla Hyatt. Alice and I, upon hearing the noise and seeing lasers shoot over the high brick walls, donned our evening wear and sauntered (well, I sauntered, Alice glided) past the security guards and into the height of decadence. [Tips on getting into parties without having to lie: 1. Follow a large crowd and try and get into the middle. 2. Don't look at anyone checking tickets/badges etc. in the eye. Just keep your eye on the prize and believe you can make it. 3. Look and act like you belong. I once got Alice into an OKGO student only concert because I was wearing a tie and my hat and they thought I was in one of the bands. I simply said "She's with me" and they let her through.]

Just inside the lobby, we were greeted by the most original and progressive musical artist of our day. I can only describe him as a neo-medieval steampunk glamrock cyber cellist. He even brought his own fan (seen in the lower left corner of the photo) to blow his luxurious blond locks around while he sent his audience on an auditory cybertrip to a land of dragons and robots.

But the surprises didn't stop there. In fact, there was far too much awesomeness to document all of it here. A brief list would include open bars; lasers; gambling; Johnny Cash cover band; at least three other bands on different stages inside and outside of the hotel; celebrity impersonators of Madonna, Bono, and Cher (first identified by Alice as a drag queen); a giant chocolate fountain; more types of food than I can remember; palm readers; caricaturists; prom style photographers; walking trees...the list goes on and on.

But the highlight of the evening were the ten foot diameter clear beach balls floating on the hotel swimming pool with bikini clad girls rolling around inside of them. That's right. Dancing girls inside giant balls floating on the water. If judged on this point alone, this party was the greatest party since the fireworks show at Sodom and Gomorrah. I will end the account here as there will be no topping the floating hamster girls.











P.S. You may be wondering why there is some strange man in our picture instead of Alice or me. That is because we forgot to bring our camera. Luckily for us, people like to share their pictures with the world. A quick google search found some random person's pictures of the very same event we were at. Just remember that the Interwebs sees all.

5 Helens agree.

Zac said...

Ah yes, nothing like fooling people into thinking they should allow you into some event that you are not invited to. If I were independantly wealthy, I think I would tour the world doing just that every weekend, but then, if I were independantly wealthy, I could probably buy my way in and I would never know if I was being let in because people actually recognized me. I guess the only way to make it satisfying is to do it when you are just ordinary. Not that Corbin and Alice are ordinary, but you know what I mean. Ordinary money I guess is the best way to put it. Anyway, how did the girls breathe in there? Surely before long they would start to run out of oxygen. Are you sure they didn't slip you something in the punch?

leslie said...

how did they get the girls in in the first place?
my ideas:
1. they are balloon girls that get blown up with the ball.
2. they start off as sponges, when you add water they grow.
3. it's a prerecorded tape of dancing girls, miraged via technology onto the balls to make it look as though they are inside.

Taralyn said...

genius, leslie, genius. i was wondering the same thing and you've made it all clear to me. i'm interested in that cybercellist. now that is cool. if only i could get a gig where i could dress up like a klingon (sp?) and play electric cello ALL NIGHT LONG!wouldn't mommy and daddy be proud and all those hours of practicing and all the $ for lessons would be well worth it.

Anonymous said...

I hope the fire hasn't reached you liberal california heathens.

corbin said...

We must have been all caught up with our pagan sacrifices because we were spared the everlasting burnings of the wild fires.