Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sacra(ligious)ment Meeting


Alice and I were asked to give talks in Sacrament meeting last Sunday. We had both been very busy with our callings and other various holiday cheer related activities throughout the week. Only a few paltry notes and scriptures had been jotted down by the time Sunday Morning rolled around. We both scrambled to put something together between presidency meetings and Priesthood Executive Committee. At PEC, I was informed that a General Authority would be presiding over our Sacrament meeting. Elder Cardon, of the Africa West Area Presidency, would be visiting our ward while on vacation or something. When I told Alice this, she got very nervous. She started reviewing her talk to make sure there was no false doctrine in it. I was worried less about false doctrine, and more about inappropriate jokes in mine.

I was still typing away on my laptop in one of the empty classrooms two minutes before Sacrament meeting started. I rushed to the clerks office and luckily they were able to print my talk from my thumb drive. Talk about waiting until the last minute, literally. Ah, technology, I declare my appreciation for your facilitation of my ever increasing procrastination!

We both ended up giving nice talks and have not, as of this morning, been reprimanded or excommunicated for teaching false doctrine. As it turns out, not only did we have Elder Cardon on the stand with us, we had two other General Authorities in the congregation: Elder Sorensen, our current temple president, and Elder Russel. Both are emeritus members of the Quorum of the Seventy. Elder Russel was visiting from Florida for a wedding. President Sorensen is often in our Sacrament meetings as he lives within our ward boundaries. That's one of the perks of living a block from the temple.

We both made it through, and are now looking steadfastly forward to the time when we are on vacation in Virginia. We can't wait to see everyone at home!

P.S. This morning I accidentally tucked my sweater into my pants. Luckily, I caught my mistake before anyone in the lab saw me!

10 Helens agree.

The Woodlands said...

You both spoke absolutely BEAU-tifully!!! Well done Mr. Last-Minute!

modestmuse said...

See, you've got it all wrong. You've got to use the false doctrine thing to your advantage -- you won't get excommunicated, you'll just never be asked to give a talk again. Worked for me. Of course I'm kidding, but maybe I'm on to something ... Anyway, can't wait to see you two.

Henri said...

I usually tuck my shirts into my undies as it stays better then tucking into the top of your pants.

Sasha&Patric said...

So I actually updated my blog and hope to be a better blogger. I even added a link to your blog on my blog because I am cool like that.

Anonymous said...

I think you should do a little more blogging and a little less cutting your fingers.

Anonymous said...

update your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bradley said...

This blog fails to deliver. Just because one joins the iphone generation does not mean that they leave the blogging generation. In fact, owning an iphone increase one's obligation to have and maintain a blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of glad there are no updates. Now I can be sure not to miss anything.

modestmuse said...

Seriously. And I thought I fell off the face of the blogosphere. At least I have an excuse.

CWK1979 said...

R.I.P. FreshestHell