Friday, May 2, 2008

Camp Life - Like Thug Life, but slightly more gentle

Last weekend I convinced someone else's kid to get into a car with me and drove far out into the desert with him. I planned ahead and had a shovel, a large tarp, and snacks to help keep my energy up. What was going on last weekend? You guessed it, our ward's annual Father and Son camp out! Seeing as how I don't have a son of my own, I adopted a kid for the weekend and pretended like I belonged. I'll do just about anything for s'more s'mores (Modestmuse, I know you feelin' me). Over the years I've learned that if you act like you belong, people don't question you. Just like the time I went to the bus station and pretended I was waiting for my bus when really I was just looking for a cool place to rest for a little while. I just kept looking at my watch impatiently and waving around a ticket stub I found in the trash can and nobody even gave me a second glance. Works perfect every time.

But back to the camp out. As all mothers know, young boys thrive on violence. And this camp out is the one time a year when, free of the over-protective mothering of the women folk, the men and boys can finally release the aggression that has been slowly building for the twelve months since last year's camp out. The activities at this year's camp out consisted of hitting each other with giant padded sticks (the technical term is 'boffers') a la LARPing, shooting each other with airsoft BB guns, and catapulting ballistic water balloons at each other at near the speed of sound. (Even the little woodland creatures enjoy LARPing as evidenced by this picture.) Surprisingly, the bishop had no problem with any of these activities. The one father who got smashed in the face with an ICBB (inter-campground ballistic balloon) from 200 yards didn't look to thrilled, but that's the chance you take when you go on an all guy camp out. He plans on summoning his Shield of Perpetual Impenetrability next year and calling down a mighty reckoning on his foes.

Besides violence, men also like to destroy things and construct things. I managed to combine these two activities into a fireside demonstration while simultaneously teaching a lesson about the refiners fire. We melted pennies over the campfire and cast the liquid zinc into a coin mold. Destruction, construction, and fire. The divine male trifecta.

Except for the one missing finger that turned out to be just a hot dog, there were no serious injuries. God bless the Father and Son camp out, and I'm sure He does or there would have been more calls to 911. And we all came home filthy, which is the only sure indication to our wives and mothers that we had a good time.

5 Helens agree.

modestmuse said...

That sounds awesome. Well, mostly just the s'mores part.

Matt said...

I laughed out loud at your intro -- that shovel and tarp part was hilarious.

It's good to have you back in the blogosphere.

Taralyn said...

I always envied those father-son excursions. I feel a little better knowing that you all probably only survived on stale granola bars and potatoes. Except for the one instance in which you were able to exhaust the supplies of marshmallows and chocolate. In these terms I thank the endless planning of the women for mealtimes during girls camp, and realize I may in fact have it better (Apart from the melting of metal part, that I don't think can be replaced by good food. Everything else on the other hand...)

Corbin said...

Actually, Taralyn, we had bacon, sausage, eggs, orange juice, and pancakes with fresh strawberries for breakfast. It was the best breakfast I'd had in a long time. So we eat good too. The secret is to get the women to do the grocery shopping for the camp out before you leave. Best of both worlds.

brooke said...

Okay, so I'm definitely blog-stalking you, not on purpose though. I am in your ward...I'm Brooke Baker. Your wife visit teaches me and I found this blog. I have to say after reading a few entries I'm addicted to your blog. You should be a writer! Love it! Tell Alice hi for me!